Monday, March 17, 2008

Super Smash Brothers



So I picked up Super Smash Bros. over the weekend, and I have to say that right off the bat I was able to breath a sigh of relief as after the quick update and console restart I was able to actually play the game. I've heard that there have been instances of getting the dreaded "can't read disc" error, and I'm just happy that I've still yet to see it.

So lets talk about the game real quick. It is everything that you wanted in a SB game. It has a huge roster of characters, and I think that most people will find that character that they'll be comfortable with. I do have to say that the action is slightly slower than it was in Melee, but for me that's a good thing. I think the reason for slowing it down a bit was so that people who don't have the world's best TVs could actually keep up with the action, and maybe even keep up with where their character is on the screen.

There is so much to this game, there are a ton of stages, a ton of characters, a ton of items, and an interesting adventure game all rolled up into one. The adventure game is in my mind a great move. It gives the player something a little different from the "play x hours or matches to unlock this player". As you go through the adventure you'll be able to open up characters that you meet. I am a bit concerned with some characters that were mention as being in the game that I have still yet meet, but I've still got 20% of the adventure left according to my save file.

The ability to play with a gamecube controller or a wii-mote was yet another good move. I've tried both controller schemes and for me personally I've found that the cube controller is the way to go. Ironically enough, though, the one character I was good at using with the wii-mote setup was Ice-Climbers. I have to say that I don't see that character in play a lot, but maybe its just me or the company that I keep.

The one thing that I haven't been able to try is the online mode, I'm excited and a bit scared of it. I'm excited because I can play my friends online and whoop their ass with Link, that's right he's the man to get the job done, or I can actually play someone I've never met and don't have their Wii Code. I think being able to do that was a great decision on Nintendo's part. I know that they are trying to keep their games tame, and with the friend code protection you're not going to be forced into playing against a douchebag, like you get to do in Halo. The problem is that not everyone knows a ton of people with Wiis, so when they want to test their skills they yearn for something more, and this gives them a chance to do so.

I know that in today's society its all about the High-Def-ness of the game and system, but I have to say for a guy who still can't afford a high def TV, Smash Bros looks amazing. The cut-scenes, the action, even the menus seem clean and appealing. I don't think anyone would be surprised by this but Nintendo has yet again got a game that can knock everyone's socks off.

So as my inaugural review comes to a close I'm going to give a score to this game, and I have to say that even though there are things yet to be seen, I'm willing to give this game a 9. After I play some online action, well see if the grade stays the same, or if it moves.

No comments: