Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lord of the Rings Online


I know that this game has been out there for a while, and it is in the genre that I have a problem with, but I figured I'd review it since I've actually played the game good amount.

Overall this game is your standard MMO affair. For some this game stands out more because of its tie to Tolkien's immortal work. As a person who hasn't immersed myself through all of his works it was the time period and races that drew me into this game.

The graphics, if you have a good card look stunning, and if you don't have that good of a card, well you're going to see some chugging in large areas. I like the more realistic models over those of WoW, but it does sometimes have the feel of WoW reskinned.

The controls are of course sometimes a bit tricky with the quick slots, but if you are use to this type of game it basically follows the same format as other MMOs.

I think the thing that makes this game a good addition to an MMO player's library is the fact that there is an option out there for a lifetime membership which means that you can kiss monthly fees goodbye, now of course the amount you have to pay is a large amount, but if you feel like this is a game that you're going to be playing for a long while then it is the choice for you.

Another thing that makes me happy about this game is the content updates that they've been able to give to the player. I'm excited that there is more and more to the game. The only thing that people gripe about, and I can see their pain, is the same thing in any MMO, there is a ceiling for leveling up. I know that's to keep players under control and make the game more of a challenge.

There are different quests out there for players, and it isn't required for the player to have to complete all of them, of course I'm the idiot who still tries, but I know that once you've gotten to a certain level some quests just disappear. There are retrieval quests, hunting quests, and of course your rescue quests.

Overall this game is yet another MMO, and the content though being increment isn't going to be able to satisfy hardcore gamers after a while.

To be honest I don't think there's an MMO out there that can. There are MMOs out there that have PvP (Peer vs Peer) battles to get exclusive items, but once you've risen to the top boredom can set in overnight.

I'd give this specific MMO a 7.5 out of 10. It has potential, and staying power but its not something that I can honestly say I'll be hooked on until the end of time.

No comments: