Monday, March 24, 2008

PATAPON


Let me start off by saying that this game can get so addictive. You'll want to play it for just a little bit and end up playing it for half an hour to an hour. It is a great addition to anyone's PSP library.

You are a God and control a nation of creatures trying to get to IT. You issue commands by rhythmically pressing keys in different patterns. As you adventure on you'll be given new units, as well as weapons, and items to create the units. Also after a couple missions you'll be able to get a couple extra items by playing your horn for the tree whose crown always itches.

Overall this game is intense, there is a really jump in room for error in the game, and I think that is why there are going to be plenty of people out there that are going to have to wear the wrist strap, if they've even ever put it on, to keep from throwing the PSP in frustration. Depending on when you slightly don't get the beat or miss the pattern entirely you could have just sent your entire army to an early grave.

I think for those who are willing to try levels over and over again they will find that this game is a great game and gives you a sense of accomplishment after you've finally completely a level after about 7+ times. For those who want the action, some difficulty but the ability to mess up and still be able to advance, after the first 7 levels, this game is not for you.

I think my biggest problem is that there is no true pause feature, sure you can hit the start button and it will bring up a pop up but you are going to lose your combo of successful beat patterns, and worst of all you will still be getting attacked and damaged. For a portable game system game I believe that this is a must, you have to be able to truly pause the game. Certain levels will not allow for you to break the rhythm so that you can go to the bathroom, take a phone call, answer a question, or get yourself something to eat/drink.

I'm sorry to say that because of its flaws I'm going to have to give it a 6.5, I'd love to give it something better but my frustration with the game is an all time high right now seeing as I've played the same level 12 times and have still yet to advance.

2 comments:

zealeus said...

6.5 out of...

Wizard of Thorns said...

Good point, I'll make a quick blog about that